House Dems Want To Raise The Minimum Wage
Published Feb 1, 2012
From CT News Junkie
The current minimum wage is not enough for working families to get by, Donovan said Tuesday. For example, a family of three with one person working would earn $17,160 a year under the current minimum wage. That’s $5,000 under the poverty line, he said.
“So people are working, putting in 40 hours week 52 weeks out of the year, and their earning poverty wages,” Donovan added.
About 106,000 people in Connecticut earn the minimum wage and around 83 percent of them are over the age of 20, he said. Many of the jobs that the state has gained as its worked its way out of the recession have been low paying, he said.
“We have mothers and fathers who lost their jobs and are now trying to make ends meet and the jobs that are available to them, because they want to work, are minimum wage jobs. We have to do our best as a society, as members of the General Assembly to say, ‘We understand that you’re working hard and we want to make sure you get enough wages that you are not poor,’” he said.
Latest Posts - In the News
- There is a better way — we need tax fairness
- We must protect Medicare
- Donovan Pushes To Add Small Business To State Employee Plan
- Increase in minimum wage would aid recovery
- Donovan tries to bar negative ads in 5th CD primary
- Donovan gains Democrat nods for 5th Congressional District seat
- House Dems Want To Raise The Minimum Wage
- National Teacher’s Union Endorses Donovan at Platt High School
- Newtown DTC Endorses Donovan
- Dems Line Up In Support Of Health Care Reform Act
Chris on Social Media
Today in the district
- Get out and vote!
- The Connecticut AFL-CIO Endorses Donovan for Congress
- SEIU Endorses Donovan for Congress
- How we win, in pictures
- What others are saying…
- Chris Donovan Congratulates HealthyCT, the Connecticut State Medical Society and CSMS-IPA for Receiving Federal CO-OP Award
- I’m standing with Chris
- CCAG Endorses Murphy and Donovan
- Donovan Wins 5th CD Convention by Overwhelming Margin
- Connecticut State Police Union Endorses Donovan for Congress